Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Show your support for what this community means to you:

Choose a Donation Amount
Username (required for credit)

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Take a look around and join the community. Have a topic? Join us and start a thread.

OFFICIAL: Oregon Coaching Search thread

Comments

• ShallowCunt: "But I love how you antiquate Helfrich's failure as a head coach to his ability as an OC when they are two completely different jobs. Dumb people say dumb shit I guess."

Agree.
    ntxduckFremontTrollbackthepack
  • ntxduckntxduck Posts: 440
    250 Answers 500 Awesomes 500 Up Votes Fourth Anniversary
    BallzDeep=Fentress.
    oregonblitzkriegAZDuckSourcesbackthepack
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Posts: 7,439
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes 500 Up Votes
    edited December 7
    Looks like a better list than yours, which includes Cristobal, who doesn't have a great record as a head coach, and probably all the other shit names being thrown around like Kiffin, Leach, etc. While we're at it, lets add Butch Jones to the mix. Why shouldn't Oregon pursue someone like Malzahn for example? It's not like Auburn is completely happy with him. He was struggling to keep his job earlier in the year according to some. His offensive mind would fit perfectly in Oregon.
    backthepack
  • ntxduckntxduck Posts: 440
    250 Answers 500 Awesomes 500 Up Votes Fourth Anniversary
    Matt Campbell would be the only guy on my list who's not an internal hire, but Oregon is way too cheap to pay that buyout. I think you are unable to comprehend what I'm saying. I don't want Cristobal or Leavitt long term. I want a good coach long term. None are available this year. So suck it up, go 8-4 next season and keep the talent coming in, and then hire a good coach in 2018, and you are competing for the P12 North in 2019. If you reach and try to make a good hire this offseason, you have to give them at least 3 years, because stupid cfball unwritten rules say so. Which means that when it doesn't pan out (which it won't, because all the external names being discussed suck), it is 2021/2022 at the earliest before you are competing for the division again.

So; Compete for the division in 2019, or 2022? Which do you prefer?
  • Looks like a better list than yours, which includes Cristobal, who doesn't have a great record as a head coach, and probably all the other shit names being thrown around like Kiffin, Leach, etc. While we're at it, lets add Butch Jones to the mix. Why shouldn't Oregon pursue someone like Malzahn for example? It's not like Auburn is completely happy with him. He was struggling to keep his job earlier in the year according to some. His offensive mind would fit perfectly in Oregon.
    Your boy Taggs had a not-great record as a head coach too. You liked the hire plenty.
    backthepack
  • Taggart had upside potential. The names out there this year are proven failures. So fuck them all.
    backthepack
  • I prefer to compete for the title, not the division.
    backthepack
  • AZDuckAZDuck Posts: 13,662
    Swaye's Wigwam 10000 Comments 250 Answers Fucktard of the Week Award
    @BallzDeep

Helfrich has a mitigation clause in his buyout. He can't really turn down a coaching job, unless he's making that much money on FoxSports2. He isn't.
    backthepackMikeDamone
    @oregonblitzkrieg

Rich people get and stay rich by not wasting their money. Phil's not a retard like the AnM boosters. He's going to get the best coach and staff he can get for market rates. Fact is, the department can't afford 105,000 seat stadium money with a 60,000 seat stadium.

Oregon will stay competitive and pay top 25 money, but we're not going nuts here. Saban et al aren't coming no matter what.

The best outcome here is probably to keep as much of the staff and class as we can, in particular the recruiting talent, and see how they do. At the very least keep the talent top 4-5 in the league and if they fuck up go for a more splash hire if the W's aren't there.
    ntxduckSoutherndawgNeighbor2972doogiebackthepackMikeDamone
  • BallzDeepBallzDeep Posts: 1,209
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 500 Awesomes 500 Up Votes
    edited December 7
    It's all irrelevant anyways. Petersen got his guy Bush Hamdan. Mullens is a retard and whatever decision he makes will turn out to be the wrong one. There is no homerun hire available so you're fucked and Petersen is gonna fuck you bitches into the dirt for years to come.
    Ice_Holmvikbackthepack
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Posts: 4,669
    Swaye's Wigwam 250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Awesomes

@oregonblitzkrieg

Rich people get and stay rich by not wasting their money. Phil's not a retard like the AnM boosters. He's going to get the best coach and staff he can get for market rates. Fact is, the department can't afford 105,000 seat stadium money with a 60,000 seat stadium.

Oregon will stay competitive and pay top 25 money, but we're not going nuts here. Saban et al aren't coming no matter what.

The best outcome here is probably to keep as much of the staff and class as we can, in particular the recruiting talent, and see how they do. At the very least keep the talent top 4-5 in the league and if they fuck up go for a more splash hire if the W's aren't there.

Good poast duck. Cheers.

P.S. @VanillaFS Fix the damn quote function
    AZDuckbackthepack
    edited December 7
    I think that @BallzDeep 's lack of understanding of football and coaching contracts is very relevant to a discussion of football and coaching contracts.

Also, I wanna know who told him that Helfrich turned down a job on Chip's staff at UCLA.
    oregonblitzkriegBasemanNeighbor2972backthepackMikeDamone
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Posts: 7,439
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Awesomes 500 Up Votes
    edited December 7
    If Phil wants a title, he'll need to be a little dumb and reach into the pockets and pay well over market rates to get a coaching staff other programs can't afford or don't want to afford. That's Oregon's advantage, and it's the only way to get back to the title game IMO If he doesn't use that advantage, then what good are his billions? He can fuck off. Time for him to put up or shut up.
    haiebackthepack
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Posts: 2,165
    You lying fuck @BallzDeep You get your info from Kim and Ruth just like everyone else.
    AZDuckFire_Marshall_Billbackthepack
  • BallzDeepBallzDeep Posts: 1,209
    @FremontTroll Lol nope. I got that from the UCLA 247 board.
    backthepack
  • Oregon coaches/players should stop trying to make mottos/slogans or whatever

RaceBannonPineapplePirateFire_Marshall_Billbackthepack